[XeTeX] (bug?) letterspacing with LetterSpace and soul

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 16:28:30 CEST 2010

>Ah, I hadn't realized that these could be
used in plain XeTeX. Can they?

I have built a XeTeX format file using the standard mechanism (i.e., language.dat etc.)
and I have added the following commands in a sample file

\catcode`\@11\relax
\def\setlanguage#1{%
   \expandafter\ifx\csname l@#1\endcsname\relax%
   \typeout{^^J Error: No hyphenation pattern for language #1 loaded,}%
   \typeout{ default hyphenation patterns are used.^^J}%
   \language=0%
   \else\language=\csname l@#1\endcsname\fi}
\catcode`\@12\relax
%\def\ancientgreek{\setlanguage{ancinetgreek}
%\def\american{\setlanguage{american}}
\font\GR="Minion Pro" at 12pt
\GR\setlanguage{monogreek}

And they work. The language.dat file I use is minimal and contains the following:

american        ushyphmax.tex
ancientgreek    loadhyph-grc.tex
monogreek       loadhyph-el-monoton.tex
greek           loadhyph-el-polyton.tex
=polygreek

These loadhyph-something files load either the ASCII or the UTF-8 encoded patterns,
depending on the program one uses to  create his/her format file.

a.s.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece