[XeTeX] PSTricks and XeTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat May 29 19:08:59 CEST 2010

Many thanks for the reply.   I think all is now well, but it's a curious
situation:

This was a completely new installation on a fresh machine that had not had
any previous TeX or XeTeX version loaded. The file I was adapting from an
old EmTeX (vintage 1995) installation was a simple one to make tray inserts
for CDs (and another for larger-cased DVDs) - the PSTricks code worked
perfectly well there.  I have now found that it works when I move the
position of the font-calls (I altered the \font commands to invoke an
outline font) - that seemed to be confusing XeTeX, or the bit of it that
handles PSTricks codes.  A simple file containing nothing more than \input
pstricks and then some basic commands such as drawing a polygon or rotating
text is unproblematic.  So my installation appears to be robust but I have
no idea why I've had to move around a few lines which were OK in an old TeX
version.  (Probably unrelatedly, I've also had the odd experience of some
\if  .... \else.... \fi commands generating a processing error in TeXLive
2009 when they are OK in TeXLive 2008 - again some moving around of lines
has cured the problem.)

Not mine to question why - as long as I'm getting the desired output I think
I can safely let go of these oddities!

Best

John