[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon May 24 15:00:29 CEST 2010

Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Letterspacing works fine with Latin glyphs. With Greek glyphs there is
> something relly weird (and it makes no difference if I use soulutf8
> instead of soul): there is no text after punctuation characters, so if
> there is no punctuation character, there is no letterspaced text.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hi Pablo:

I did a little experimenting with your sample ... and I'm not sure
what's actually happening, but if I load /this/ preamble and change the
polyglossia commands to what I've used before (although there may be
reasons for what you've got), I get unusual results, too.

Here's the sample I used:

\documentclass[10pt]{book}
  \usepackage{xltxtra}
  \setmainfont{Garamond Premier Pro}
  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setdefaultlanguage{english}
  \setotherlanguage[variant=ancient]{greek}
  \usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{xcolor}

\newcommand\whitecomma{\textcolor{white}{,}}

  \begin{document}
  This is only a \so{test}.

  “Mind” is the English translation for \textgreek{\so{νοῦς.}}

  “Mind” is the English translation for \textgreek{\so{νοῦς\whitecomma}}
and the Greek for “soul” is \textgreek{\so{ψυχή.}}
  \end{document}

You notice, I loaded a different font (I don't have yours) and loaded
xltxtra --- which loads fontspec and xunicode as well. Now, I made the
command \whitecomma because with this file, if there /isn't/ punctuation
in the \so braces, nothing appears from the \so argument or after. So,
the \whitecomma is to facilitate rendering the text, but making the
punctuation "invisible".

This may be a bad idea for various reasons, but it seems to work around
the problem.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,