[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon May 24 12:30:41 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I want to achieve a kind of emphasizing which used in Greek through
letterspacing.

I have tried the LetterSpace and WordSpace properties, but I don't think
they are intended for this.

The proper way seems to be the \so command from the soul package. But
there is a weird issue with Greek glyphs.

Here you have the code:

   \documentclass[10pt]{book}
   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \setmainfont{Theano Didot}
   \usepackage{polyglossia}
   \setdefaultlanguage{english}
   \setotherlanguage[variant=ancient]{greek}
   \usepackage{soul}
   \begin{document}
   This is only a \so{test}.

   “Mind” is the English translation for \foreignlanguage{greek
   {\so{νοῦς}}.

   “Mind” is the English translation for \foreignlanguage{greek}
   {\so{νοῦς,}}.
   \end{document}

Letterspacing works fine with Latin glyphs. With Greek glyphs there is
something relly weird (and it makes no difference if I use soulutf8
instead of soul): there is no text after punctuation characters, so if
there is no punctuation character, there is no letterspaced text.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Pablo