[XeTeX] Bidipoem

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:09:34 CEST 2010

Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> Hi Gareth

Hi Vafa!

> the bidipoem package is indeed intended for typesetting modern and
> traditional Persian poems and may not be suitable for typesetting poems in
> other scripts.

Perhaps, if I were to typeset the Touma Audo's famous Syriac translation
of the Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam, you might have mercy on my persistent
misuse of your code!

> I think that I have not understood your problem correctly and I do not know
> how I should typeset Syriac with xetex.fontspec complained about every
> single font that I used to test that it does not contain  Syriac script.
> Could you please send a minimal example and what font should I use for this
> script?

I've attached the input and output minimal files; they use Estrangelo
Edessa, which is a freely available Meltho Font from Beth Mardutho.

> If you typeset a line (which is just one line in comparison to the line
> before that contained two halves and there was a gap between them), then
> this line is aligned at the center of previous line and this is a feature of
> traditional Persian poems. What I meant is:
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Now if you have several of these (single lines), they are aligned with
> respect to each other (their beginning starts at one horizontal width and
> their endings also ends at one horizontal width) so you have something like:
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Now I do not understand how your example should look like. Could you please
> enlighten me and send a minimal example using only English alphabets?

Yes, I understand what the package does, that ever full line or half
line has the same width. However, I'm working with a verse form in which
the single lines are often longer than the half lines, so the half lines
look very stretched out. I was wanting to know if there's a way to treat
single lines as having double the width of half lines to prevent the
latter from being overstretched. I suppose it might look like:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Thanks

Thank you,

Gareth.