[XeTeX] Emacs

Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente juanfranciscofv at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:36:42 CEST 2010

(Only a suggestion)
Perhaps you already know another great variation of Emacs: Easymacs, of P.
Heslin. It is very useful for non programmers or those who use emacs for
*texing. By the way it's the same as Emacs, but easier (more common
keybindings or keystrokes). I don't know if it also could be better for your
purposes, but I think so.

2010/5/19 Scot Becker <scot.becker at gmail.com>

> Emacs users and potential Emacs users might be interested to know that
> the development branch of Emacs now has working basic bidi support
> which is in need of wider testing.  I can't testify to Arabic, Syriac
> or other RTL languages, but I've had good luck with vocalized Hebrew
> in the past few days.  It makes typesetting XeLaTeX with Hebrew in
> Emacs much nicer.
>
> To try it out you'll need:
>
> 1.  The latest development sources of Emacs, including bzr and all the
> Emacs prereq's.
>
> In Debian-based Linux distributions, that's available using something like:
> $ sudo apt-get build-dep emacs23
> $ sudo apt-get bzr
> mkdir ~/src/emacs
> cd ~/src/emacs
>
> Full instructions for building Emacs are in the INSTALL file:
> Mac users see here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
>
> 2.  For Hebrew and Yiddish, you'll want the brand-new input methods
> for Hebrew and Yiddish. See the attachment to this message:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bidi/597
>
>  I see that Emacs contains an older Arabic input method, which may
> also work.  I don't know.
>
> 3.  That's it.  Build Emacs.
> To test bidi, evaluate this:
>   (setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)
>
> At this point you can start up your bidi XeLaTeX files and hack away.
>
> To load the above mentioned Hebrew input methods:
>    M-x load-library  RET  /path/to/abovementioned/hebrew.el
>    M-x set-input-method RET hebrewTAB
> (to see the choices for Hebrew.  There's a nice set of options, both
> for those with Hebrew-keyboard fingers and those who want a phonetic
> system.  See the file hebrew.el for details.)
>
> It's a little bit of work to get it up and going, and if you find a
> bug it's another bit of work to file a proper report on the GNU bug
> tracker, but the developers are responsive, and keen to have bug
> reports.  I think it's fair to say that bidi support is fairly'
> stable, perhaps even outright usable!
>
> You might find it instructive to read the last few weeks of the
> emacs-bidi mailing list, to catch up.
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bidi
>
> You can also send your questions to that list by subscribing here:
>
> Hope this is of interest to someone.
>
> Scot

Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente
Departamento de Ciencias de la Antigüedad
Área de Latín
Universidad de Zaragoza
Email: jffraileATunizar.es