[XeTeX] polyglossia, makeidx: Missing control sequence \inaccessible

Taylor Venable taylor at metasyntax.net
Sun May 16 06:00:38 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Paul Foley <paul at mises.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Taylor Venable <taylor at metasyntax.net>wrote:
>
>> Hello, I just updated my TeXlive 2009 installation the other day from CTAN
>> and am having a problem with some shortcut macros I was using to make
>> indexing easier.  I have a shortest working example attached as test.tex,
>> and the log file as well.  I've summarised the things which can and can't be
>> changed in the test file.  Essentially, if I have a \newcommand which
>> creates an index entry and specifies the output formatting of that entry,
>> while using Polyglossia, I get an error.  The error is:
>>
>> ! Missing control sequence inserted.
>> <inserted text>
>>                 \inaccessible
>> l.7   \item {\ttfamily  \def r
>>                               m{tt}lambda}, \hyperpage{1}
>>
>> Which originates from the .ind file produced by makeindex.  The error is
>> sort of an obvious problem: that \def should not be there!  :-)  If I remove
>> Polyglossia, it works.
>>

> If I delete the .ind file and run xelatex/makeindex/xelatex it works fine.

That's sort of the crux of the problem, because with
\usepackage{polyglossia}, running xelatex (for me at least) creates the
faulty .idx file, which then causes makeindex to produce a faulty .ind
file.  Without using the polyglossia package, xelatex produces a correct
.idx file and all is well.  At least on my system with a clean, fully
updated TeXlive 2009 installation, of course.

--
Taylor C. Venable
http://metasyntax.net/