[XeTeX] margin kerning for xetex: test files

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat May 8 14:55:51 CEST 2010

Am 04.05.2010 um 17:30 schrieb Thanh Han The:

> I have uploaded some test files to xetex.tk, in case someone is
> interested in seeing/trying them.

I used these test files to check whether HZ enabled XeTeX (checked out
a few days ago)

	XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.0 (Web2C 2010/dev)
	kpathsea version 6.0.0dev
	Copyright 2009 SIL International and Jonathan Kew.
	There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
	covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
	the Lesser GNU General Public License.
	For more information about these matters, see the file
	named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
	Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
	Compiled with ICU version 4.4.1 [with modifications for XeTeX]
	Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
	Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.3.11; using 2.3.11
	Using Mac OS X Carbon, Cocoa & QuickTime frameworks

works (on Mac OS X). My observation is that different from the
microtype package for pdfTeX no defaults are used for an unknown font.
So with an unknown font XeTeX, even if enabled, XeTeX does not seem to
perform protrusion, neither at the right nor at the left margin (or I
should use better test cases!). Anyway, I compiled a few variants of
xetex binaries and since I have an account on http://xetex.tk I
uploaded them for those who are curious and not that used to
compilers. I created a private copy of the build-xetex.sh and added
the line

	--disable-dependency-tracking \

to the variable CFG_OPTS and later augmented the lines before the
invocation of configure to now have:

	export CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
	export PATH=/Developer/usr/bin:${PATH}
	export  CC=llvm-gcc-4.2	#llvm-
	export CXX=llvm-g++-4.2	#llvm-
	export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
	export SDKROOT=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
	export   CFLAGS="-g -Os -isysroot $SDKROOT -arch i386 -arch ppc"
	export CXXFLAGS="-g -Os -isysroot $SDKROOT -arch i386 -arch ppc"
	export LDFLAGS="-L${SDKROOT}/usr/lib -arch i386 -arch ppc"
	#export LDFLAGS="-syslibroot $SDKROOT -arch ppc -arch i386 -arch ppc -
arch i386"

Compilation for Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger, does not succeed. XeTeX sources
(in the file XeTeX_mac.c) use with CGFontGetGlyphWithGlyphName and
CGFontCopyGlyphNameForGlyph library functions only available on (Snow)
Leopards. I had to add lines which determine the C++ compiler and the
default flags it will use. The line with LDFLAGS is maybe a hack from
me. I later found in the Xcode documentation the commented LDFLAGS
line and I'll let my G4 compile with that setting later. Next steps
will be to add '-arch ppc64 -arch x86_64' to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS in
order to build 4-way universal binaries which also support 64-bit
architectures. Optimisation, -Os, is used. It should work everywhere.

Until now I compiled and uploaded:

	(-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  16.999.964  3 Okt  2009 xetex-orig UB
from TeX Live)
	 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  12.731.756  6 Mai 20:58 xetex-PPC
	 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  25.343.052  7 Mai 21:23 xetex-UB-4.0.1
	 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  25.048.620  8 Mai 12:36 xetex-UB-4.2.1

UB stands for Apple Universal Binary, PPC will run on G4 and G5; the
numbers 4.0.1 and 4.2.1 stand for the GCC versions used for
compilation. Right now I try to compile with the LLVM frontend of GCC
4.2.1. The files look quite large, compared to the original TeX Live
UB, maybe I have to 'strip' them...

The binaries are contained in ZIP files. You can install the new
binary in /usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/universal-darwin or in your own
private bin directory (it's likely that it comes first in search
PATH). Then create the new formats, privately with fmtutil, for the
system with 'sudo fmtutil-sys' and the options '--byfmt xetex' and '--
byfmt xelatex' and maybe also with ConTeXt variations.

"If all else fails read the instructions." And send me a notice...
Compilation takes a few hours, upload many minutes.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.