[XeTeX] Vertical Japanese in memoir with fontspec

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri May 7 19:22:56 CEST 2010

Hi Pander,

> I'm very content with memoir compared to where I started out with
> article and book. But the main focus is XeLaTeX and fontspec and what
> needs to be done to fix the outstanding bugs.
>
> Looking forward to your reply on the .tex I've sent you.

Two things - Don't use math mode to emulat macrons when you're using a
fully unicode aware version of TeX, just use ō and make sure you have a
font that supports it =) You can even use XeTeX's interchar behaviour to
make it switch fonts specifically for ō alone (to DejaVu or
FreeSans/FreeSerif, for instance). Second, I ran in trouble relying on
ruby for horizontal and vertical guide text. Instead, with the help of
people on this list, I came up with custom commands for ruby, so the
attached .tex file has some custom code (which can be tucked away in a
.sty file of course) for doing both vertical writing and proper furigana
in both modes.

Hope this helps.

- Mike