[XeTeX] Em-dash

Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente juanfranciscofv at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:41:32 CEST 2010

I think Optimus Tactus is only a design, there is no prototype in fact.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/28/art-lebedev-kills-us-with-optimus-tactus-keyboard-concept/
And if it was, it is very conservative. I insist in the idea of the E-ink,
If it is only for writing, a keyboard does not need colors (or even a piano
keyboard...).

<http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/28/art-lebedev-kills-us-with-optimus-tactus-keyboard-concept/>There
are some restrictions if anybody wants to develope a tactil keyboard, since
apple has registered a lot of patents of tactil keyboards. (Jon Stewart has
remembered to Apple that great ad of 1984 and advised to look in the
mirror).

I think such a thing can be developed by IT people on Universities, people
who uses open-source software.

But for Unicode it is being necessary new developments that allow to explote
all its potential. At least, *TeX lets a great implementation of Unicode,
since word processors don't work always as we expect from them and
keyboard-layouts change a lot from a country to another, from a language
distribution to another.

2010/5/5 Wilfred van Rooijen <wvanrooijen at yahoo.com>

> Haha, as I said in another post, the same people who developed the Optimus
> keyboard also developed the Tactus keyboard, which is in fact a touch
> screen. It would give ample opportunity to implement "strange" character
> input.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Wilfred
>
> --- On *Tue, 4/5/10, Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente <
> juanfranciscofv at gmail.com>* wrote:
>

> From: Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente <juanfranciscofv at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] Em-dash
> To: "Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms" <xetex at tug.org>
> Date: Tuesday, 4 May, 2010, 6:42 PM
>

> Yes, it exists that keyboard as John has shown.
> But I think that the next step is different. I think the most useful thing
> would be that the keyboard be another screen, but a "tactil"-digital one. I
> think that this option would develope all the possibilities of Unicode.
> I am not talking of a keyboard in the main screen, like in the Ipad, what
> is another great idea. For instance, I work in a netbook. I  have thought
> lately that these problems with keyboards layouts will be solved if instead
> of the physical keyboard, it would be a screen (could be a monitor of
> digital-ink like in the Ebook-readers) in which the actual keyboard layout
> that set the user would be shown, or perhaps a normal screen that adopts
> that role if the laptop/netbook is in "working position" (in other
> circumstances could be a two screen gadget for other functions). And new
> keyboard-layouts could be developed with special sections like "IPA chars"
> or "programming-languages oriented chars". (Only theorizing).
> I know this is imagination only, but I think this kind of developments
> could make easier and, mainly, more comfortable a lot of work for a lot of
> people.
> If anybody wants/can afford to try, this idea is free, like beer.
> Cheers!
> J.F.F.
>
> 2010/5/4 Wilfred van Rooijen <wvanrooijen at yahoo.com<http://mc/compose?to=wvanrooijen@yahoo.com>
> >

>>  Hi all,
>>
>> This seems to be precisely the issue. Xetex can read and understand all
>> unicode characters, but at this time, the only way to communicate with the
>> computer is through the keyboard and the mouse. Thus, there will always be
>> issues with "special characters". I don't know if it exists, and if not it
>> may be interesting to develop, but a keyboard with LCD keys would be nice.
>> Then one can switch layout, and the characters on the keys appear
>> differently. Of course, there would still be strange side-effects, such as a
>> CJK space, which is really a 2-byte space, and xetex does not treat it as a
>> regular space (rather, treats it like ~, I suppose).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wilfred
>>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente
Departamento de Ciencias de la Antigüedad
Área de Latín
Universidad de Zaragoza
Email: jffraileATunizar.es