[XeTeX] Em-dash

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 05:45:29 CEST 2010

Hi all,

> This is the same kind of issue as one
> of the earlier ones: the whole point of XeTeX is that one
> simply types what one wants into a Unicode editor (i.e., if
> you want an em-dash, you simply type an em-dash, and there
> is no need any more for TeX conventions like ---, \"a, etc.
> etc.).

But the problem is that there are not many keyboards which support all unicode characters :-)). My keyboard is a simple US keyboard, but sometimes I have to input French or German names. In those cases, it is very helpful that xelatex can still use the "old-fashioned" input. If not, I'd have to somehow input the character directly, and I am sure that there are ways to do that, but those will not increase readability of the source code :-))

Wilfred