[XeTeX] Diacritics

Juan Francisco Fraile Vicente juanfranciscofv at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:30:46 CEST 2010

You can find all the characters included in a font in the «character map».
In Linux, type in the terminal 'charmap'. If you are in Windows, I think it
is in 'Accesories→System Tools→Character Map'. In the character map you can
find precombined characters and combinable diacritical marks.
If you want to know where is the accent in your keyboard, you can explore
your layout keyboard (whatever is your OS) and there you can find where the
diacritical marks are (or change, if it is necessary, the layout to another
language-distribution more comfortable for your work).
I give an example of the problem for better understanding: if you want to
write the character 'v' with a macron, it is not possible, for instance, in
Word or other word-processors, because it does not exist as a precombined
character in unicode. Perhaps you can get a 'v' with a macron over it only
using the combinable diacritical mark (perhaps).

But I think that in TeX, LaTeX, XeTeX this shouldn't be a problem if you are
using this

[Mapping=tex-text]

and LaTeX accents: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Latex_Accents.png,
although the font hadn't the precombined character.
I think it is important to check that first points, and also, to use a
unicode font in your XeTeX editor.

Best regards,

J. F. Fraile

J. F. Fraile
Departamento de Ciencias de la Antigüedad
Área de Latín
Universidad de Zaragoza