[XeTeX] on fontspec 2.0

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 03:39:30 CEST 2010

Hi Khaled,

> You've to install the whole luaotfload from githup, the one shipped with
> texlive 2009 is too outdated to work (we would have updated texlive
> version if it weren't the archaic luatex version they are shipping).

Ah, Icic. The newest version is giving me some errors, but I'll switch
over to the LuaTeX list for that. BTW, for others interested, updating
the luatex version that comes with TeXlive is very simple, at least on
windows: get the minimals from here,
http://www.luatex.org/download.html, overwrite and done (note the
dates on the files, some you won't have to update. I only had to get
luatex.dll and kpathsearch510.dll.

> I didn't write that, Will; are you listening? ;) Anyway, what is written
> there doesn't reflect the reality; we rely on fontconfig to get a list
> of system fonts (but, unlike XeTeX, we do the rest of indexing
> ourseleves). So, it is fontconfig's duty, at least for now, to use the
> proper path

Good, so right now if XeTeX can find it, LuaTeX should also find it.
When you replace font config with your own solution, please don't
forget that, at least on windows, some users (like me) would not want
to put all their fonts in the system's font directory (imagine the
For that reason, you can tell fontconfig through a local.conf
configuration file what other paths to make available (see
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-March/025240.html). I hope
such functionality will be available.

Best,
Dee