[XeTeX] [texlive] opentype fonts from $TEXMFLOCAL

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 08:12:24 CET 2010

Hello Diederick,

The 'fc-cache' command will only cache the fonts in the 'system font directories'. I don't know where and exactly those directories are defined, but it may well be that the $TEXMFLOCAL is not one of those system directories. Then, fc-cache simply does not cache the fonts there and then they also don't show up using 'fc-list'.

On linux a simple trick is to start OpenOffice and see if the requested font shows up in the list. I don't know if the same trick works on Windows, though.

Furthermore, the fonts can have various "identification strings". Xetex uses a specific one of these. From the error, it may be that you are requesting a font but using the wrong identifier.

Wilfred