[XeTeX] EuroTeX 2009 proceedings

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 20 12:13:09 CET 2010

Am 20.03.2010 um 00:41 schrieb Peter Baker:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 20.03.2010 um 00:13 schrieb David Perry:
>>
>>> When I started learning TeX, I could find only one editor, TeXworks, that was Unicode-aware.  And that is still the case, although I see that TeXnicCenter has now rolled out an alpha version of a new, Unicode-based edition of their software.
>>

>> For some longer period GNU Emacs exists.
>>
> Emacs hasn't been Unicode-aware for a whole long time; but there are other editors that. like Emacs (now), are not specifically for TeX, but aware of both TeX and Unicode--Gedit for Gnome/Linux comes to mind. Perhaps others could share their favorite (Xe)(La)TeX editors.

I'm using Emacs myself, but to be honest, the Unicode capabilities of Emacs are years behind those of most other editors, at least on Mac OS X. Non-BMP characters or combined characters don't work at all, BMP characters only if they are supported by the selected font. The support in the editor provided by the OS (TextEdit) is much better.