[XeTeX] Problem with Deja Vu Sans fonts

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Mar 9 02:01:31 CET 2010

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Firstly, your test cases are wrong! The alltt environment changes some
> behaviour significantly. The "minimal" class is better suited for
> proving that a font file or such is faulty.

OK, I wasn't familiar enough with XeTeX to know that.  I changed the
test file to the ff., is this better?
---------
\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmonofont{DejaVu Sans Mono}
\begin{document}

\ttfamily\{u|ā́|i\}

o-ā́o
<Ln:Form spelling='+ونه' script='Arabic'/>
\end{document}
---------
It appears to give at least as bad a result. (The 'a' gets overstruck by
the 'i'; I thought it got overstruck as well by the second pipe, but I
think the two pipes are actually super-imposed.  And the acute accent
winds up over the 'u' instead of over the 'a'.  And in the second line,
the dash that's supposed to be between the 'o' and the 'a' winds up
overstriking the 'o', and the acute over the 'a' winds up over the 'o',
and the 'a' and the second 'o' swap places, and... In a word, it's a
mess.  The Arabic, on the other hand, looks fine!)

Just for fun, I tried setting DejaVu Sans Mono to be my main font; the
result is the same.
---------
\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{DejaVu Sans Mono}
\begin{document}

--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?