[XeTeX] Current state of CJK support

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 00:24:50 CET 2010

Hi Francois,

I think I have used gloss-japanese and gloss-nihongo. Both don't work "out-of-the-box" because you have to define special fontfamilies. I have tried to used both files on an otherwise English text. This preamble works:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,oneside,draft]{memoir}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{bm}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{calc,through}
\usepackage{3dplot}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\title{Survey of definitions of diffusion coefficients for nuclear reactor applications}

\author{W.F.G. van Rooijen}

\date{\today}

%--------------------------------------------------------------------
% Set up page layout
%--------------------------------------------------------------------
\DoubleSpacing
\isopage[12]
\checkandfixthelayout[classic]

\ifdraftdoc
  \makeevenfoot{plain}{}{\thepage}{\textit{Draft: \today}}
  \makeoddfoot{plain}{\textit{Draft: \today}}{\thepage}{}
  \makeevenfoot{headings}{}{}{\textit{Draft: \today}}
  \makeoddfoot{headings}{\textit{Draft: \today}}{}{}
\fi

%--------------------------------------------------------------------
% Setup line breaking etc for Japanese (this should also be satis-
% factory for non-Japanese parts of the text)
\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "ja"
\XeTeXlinebreakskip=0em plus 0.1em minus 0.01em
\setdefaultlanguage{nihongo}
\newfontfamily\nihongofont{Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI}
\newfontfamily\japanesefont{Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI}

Surprisingly enough, setting the language to japanese results in a more Japanese document than setting nihongo. With "japanese", equation numbering is done in kanji, for instance.

The genzi-package states that it is specifically intended to put short bits of Japanese into an otherwise non-Japanese text. Could you contact the maintainers of gloss-japanese and gloss-nihongo? Maybe they are willing to submit the files for official inclusion. If not, I can ask one of my Japanese friends who uses latex whether he'd be willing to be the maintainer.

Cheerio,
Wilfred