[XeTeX] Current state of CJK support

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 05:04:16 CET 2010

Hi all,

> Why is this un-TeX ?
> If it is definable then it should be programmable in TeX.
>
> There is a TeX command  \nobreak  which is meant
> to bias against
> a linebreak occurring at the point where it occurs in the
> input.
> It ought to be possible to use
> \XeTeXinterchartoks  to insert
>  \nobreak  immediately before a given character,
> within a
> specified context.

Sorry, I read the original post as if to say "impossible to start a sentence with a certain character", for which I would say that it is up to the user to make sure that that character does not appear as the first character of a sentence (as opposed to Word etc which sometimes automagically change the first letters or characters of a sentence). When the question is whether a character cannot be the first on a line, then I would say that hyphenation rules etc would take care of it. In the case of "small yo", as in でしょ , as opposed to ですよ , some fonts may include ligatures (some guru please advise)? In Japanese alphabets these combinations with "small characters" (sorry, I forgot the real name) are usually interpreted as being one character.

Cheers,
Wilfred