[XeTeX] Small caps

Gérard Degrez gdegrez at ulb.ac.be
Thu Mar 4 18:29:38 CET 2010

> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just begun experimenting with Xetex on MacOS. Everything works
> > fine, except that I can't get small caps with some of the System
> fonts > such as Arial and Times New Roman. On the other hand, I do
> get the
>  > small caps with Hoefler Text or with the TeX Gyre fonts.
> > I guess that the reason is that the system fonts do not include
> small
>  > caps. Can you confirm?
> Yes, that's it. And XeTeX doesn't do fake small caps.
> > Then, the question is: how can I know beforehand?
> > I browsed the list archive and found the thread [XeTeX] problem
>  > getting small caps dating back to Nov. 2009 and I tried some of the
>  > suggestions (the otfinfo command, and the tex file by Herb
> Schultz),
>  > but this wasn't conclusive.
>  Run otfinfo --features font-file. If smcp and/or c2sc is in the
> list, then the font has small caps. Peter
Thanks.
That works nicely on ttf files such as Arial.ttf and otf files such as
texgyreheros-regular.otf
But not on "Hoefler Text.dfont" for which it gives the error message
otfinfo: Hoefler Text.dfont: not an OpenType font (bad magic number)
Is there any way to get the info for fonts of .dfont type?

In any event, I got the information I was looking for. Thanks again.

Gérard