[XeTeX] xetex arabic fonts issue

Abdulrahman Al-Abdusalalm abdulrhman.niz at cas.edu.om
Sun Jun 27 11:28:58 CEST 2010

On 27 June 2010 11:44, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:58:20AM +0400, Abdulrahman Al-Abdusalalm wrote:
> > I can confirm the following behaviour with XeteX:
> > 2 identical truetype fonts (one in texmf tree and the other in system
> folder)
> > causes problems with rendering.
> > However, 2 identical opentype fonts seems to work fine without any
> rendering
> > problems.
>
> Are you sure you only have truetype and no opentype version installed
> when you get this issue?

I apologize I overlooked things a bit after retesting 2 identical *truetype*
fonts do not cause any problems either. I tried the scenario of one
*opentype* and another *truetype*   it seems to work without any problems
also :|!

I am unable to reproduce the problem again now....

Regards,
AKAL

> > Basically, I had the file originally opentype which while fiddling around
> > converted to truetype copied it to both texmf tree and system folder
> (/usr/
> > share/fonts/ under ubuntu linux) and I got the rendering problem.
> >
> > Another issue with truetype font is that I get isolated letters instead
> of the
> > correctly connected ones (this is true also for the Scheherazade font). I
> must
> > be missing something when I say?
> >  \font\test="Scheherazade"
> >   \test ......
>
> You have to select Arabic script, as mentioned before in this thread:
>
> \font\test="Scheherazade:script=arab"
>

> --
>  Khaled Hosny
>  Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
>  Free font developer

Abdulrahman AAl Abdulsalam
Assistant Lecturer - IT Department
College of Applied Science