[XeTeX] xetex arabic fonts issue

Abdulrahman Al-Abdusalalm abdulrhman.niz at cas.edu.om
Sun Jun 27 08:58:20 CEST 2010

I can confirm the following behaviour with XeteX:
2 identical *truetype* fonts (one in texmf tree and the other in system
folder) causes problems with rendering.
However, 2 identical *opentype* fonts seems to work fine without any
rendering problems.

Basically, I had the file originally opentype which while fiddling around I
converted to truetype copied it to both texmf tree and system folder
(/usr/share/fonts/ under ubuntu linux) and I got the rendering problem.

Another issue with *truetype* font is that I get isolated letters instead of
the correctly connected ones (this is true also for the Scheherazade font).
I must be missing something when I say?
 \font\test="Scheherazade"
  \test ......

Thanks,