[XeTeX] Hyphenating Tamil

Venkatesan. S.K. (TNQ) skvenkat at tnq.co.in
Sun Jun 27 06:51:27 CEST 2010

> Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:53:39 +0530
> From: Shrisha Rao <shrao at nyx.net>
> To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms <xetex at tug.org>
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] Hyphenating Tamil
>
> El jun 26, 2010, a las 7:44 p.m., Khaled Hosny escribi?:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 07:15:02PM +0530, Shrisha Rao wrote:
>
> >> The best things to do would be to switch from Ubuntu to another distro
> that has TeX Live 2009 (sorry, I cannot tell you which one), or else to not
> install the TeX packages from the distro's manager but to install and
> maintain TeX Live separately.
> >
> > As some one who have been using Ubuntu and texlive for several years now,
> > I can safely say you are exaggerating too much here. One can easily
> install
> > texlive from tug on Ubuntu like any other Unix(-like) system, nothing
> special
> > here. Please refer to texlive documentation for installation
> instructions.
>
> That was the second option I mentioned, to install TeX Live directly.  I
> don't think my comments about the difficulties of making do with Ubuntu's
> own bundled circa-2007 TeX packages were too far off the mark.
>
> > And, IIRC, there is a PPA for texlive 2009.
>
> This I did not know, though it is perhaps a less satisfactory solution than
> having a proper TeX Live available through the distro itself.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shrisha Rao
>
> > Khaled

Thanks for all your replies and I think I can at last produce a DTP package
in Tamil on Linux!!
Ubuntu has recently decided not include GIMP raising many eyebrows...
Ubuntu is a Linux for simple M$ addicts to make the transition to Linux
smooth.
For experts there are many ways in life I suppose...

Suki