[XeTeX] Problem: Beamer+xelatex+\XeTeXdefaultencoding

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jun 22 10:02:18 CEST 2010

Ross Moore wrote:

> It doesn't use TeX's  \immediate  qualifier
> when calling  \openin  and  \closein for the preliminary
> check to see whether the file exists or not.
> The need for this primitive is discussed in the TeXbook ,
> and surely the preliminary check is precisely a place
> where it should be used.

Confused.  Surely \immediate is significant only
with \openout (etc), stress on the "out" element.
\openout (etc) can take place during \shipout,
the so-called "deferred openout", but I can think
of no way that \openin (etc) could be threaded
at that time.

** Phil.