[XeTeX] Problem: Beamer+xelatex+\XeTeXdefaultencoding

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:08:32 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:01:12PM +0100, Joseph Wright wrote:

> On 21/06/2010 21:34, ???????? ?????????? wrote:
> >>I don't know what is happening there but the default encoding for xetex is UTF-8 so there is no need to set the encoding.
> >
> >Yes, I know.
> >Actually, I need "cp1251" encoding, but got this problem.
> >This problem I reproduce with both "cp1251" and "UTF-8"
> >so I try to ask about more startard encoding.
> >
> >I attached all test files (source, logs, aux, ???) zipped???
>
> See my post on the LaTeX Community website. The issue is not beamer,
> but hyperref, and only shows up with Windows (LF-CR) line endings.
> Minimal example for me is
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \XeTeXdefaultencoding "UTF-8"
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}
>
> (when saved LF-CR: fine with LF-only line endings).

No, I also get "@safe at act @safe at act" with LF line endings.
It happens during \ReadBookmarks when the .out file
is read (this happens twice in \ReadBookmarks for XeTeX):

{\input}

\@filef at und ->t003.out
 (./t003.out
{the character @}
{horizontal mode: the character @}
{blank space  }
)

However the .out file is empty (size is zero).
Therefore I think it's a strange bug in XeTeX:
* "@safe at act" is only used in strings/macros ending in
  "@safe at actives", "@safe at activestrue", and "@safe at activesfalse".
* The problem disappears, if the .out file contains at least
  one byte (space, line ending, percent).
* The problem disappears, if a \show command (\show\x, \showlists)
  is inserted after the first \begingroup of \ReadBookmarks
  (hxetex.def).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek