[XeTeX] More info on segfaults in unicode-math on linux 64 bit

wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:44:35 CEST 2010

> Dear list members,
>
> I tried to send a message earlier today confirming an earlier message
about segmentation fault that is had reliably when the \setmathfont
command from unicode-math is used on a 64-bit linux systems. I don't
know whether my message made it through, since I wasn't a member of the
list. Now I am. Sorry if I missed anything relevant.

> I am also "double posting" here at the github issues pages for
> unicode-math in this thread here:
>
> http://github.com/wspr/unicode-math/issues/issue/96/
>
> Sorry if this leads to duplication for anyone. William Robertson
suggested there that the problem might be "further down the chain". If
this is true, it still helps to know what reliably causes the problem,
at least for one user, so others might be interested too.

> I am working on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, using the packages provided by
the testing version of TeXlive 2010. (The same problem does not occur if
one uses the Debian packaged version of TeXlive 2009, but there are
other problems instead.)

I did myself some testing today with TeXLive 2010 installed on 64-bit
Fedora 13 using the experimental TeXLive 2010 repository for Fedora 13
which is maintained by Jindřich Nový

  http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/

In my case, I report *no* segmentation faults when compiling XeLaTeX
sources with lots of mathematics and unicode-math loaded with \setmathfont
and \setmainfont directives in the preamble (I use \setmathfont with no
potions and \setmainfont with options: 'Numbers=OldStyle,Mapping=tex-text'
; I did the testing with XITS fonts).

However, I see another problem, probably closely related to the problem
reported on June 6 by Ulrik Vieth (thread: 'Unicode-math strange results')

  \bar <any letter symbol>

places the horizontal bar quite a bit to the left of the actual symbol,
and, additionally,

 \left ... \right

*do not* have any effect, i.e., they do not resize delimiters -- exactly
as reported by Ulrik.

No such problems occur with MiKTeX 2.8 on the same machine (installed
under Windows Vista on another partition) which renders everything
correctly.

Both Fedora's TeXlIve 2010 and MiKTeX 2.8 have the most recent
unicode-math/fontspec installed.

Mariusz Wodzicki