[XeTeX] polyglossia, Spanish and indentfirst

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Jun 6 01:21:17 CEST 2010

On 06/06/2010 12:03 AM, enrico.gregorio at univr.it wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'm on TL2009 and the indentfirst package doesn't work at all.
>> How can I get indentation on first paragraphs in Spanish?
> [...]
> Minimal example?

Thanks for your reply, Enrico.

Your sample works fine, but I'm afraid I can't provide a sample that
shows the problem, since the issue appears in book that I typeset with
XeLaTeX and babel and I switched now to polyglossia and I don't know why
this happens.

After comparing the gloss-spanish.ldf with gloss-french.ldf and
gloss-greek.ldf, a workaround for this would be:

\makeatletter
\def\blockextras at spanish{\frenchspacing\french at indent}
\makeatother

BTW, François, if you were so kind, I think this should be the default
for Spanish as it is for French or Greek. Babel has also indentfirst as
default for Spanish as main language language.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo