[XeTeX] XITS Math font - first beata

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 06:28:10 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-05 11:40:28 +0930,
wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu said:

> On the other hand, with
>
> \setmathfont{XITS Math}
> \setmainfont[Numbers=OldStyle,Mapping=tex-text]{STIXGeneral}
>
> I get improved STIX in Math, and the regular STIX in text with *no* Old
> Style figures, plus unnecesssary duplication of fonts (as XITS Math is
> just improved STIXGeneral upright Roman), but with 'fontspec' recognizing
> that for italic and bold it has to look up the corresponding 'Italic' and
> 'Bold' font files.

I have an alternative suggestion :)
Instead of trying to use STIX Math as a text font, let's leave it doing
what it does best and instead use a matching Times-clone for the text.
This is what I would recommend:

\setmainfont[
    Extension=.otf,
    UprightFont=*-regular,
    ItalicFont=*-italic,
    BoldFont=*-bold,
    BoldItalicFont=*-bolditalic,
    Numbers=OldStyle,
    Mapping=tex-text
  ]{texgyretermes}
\setmathfont{XITS Math}

(If you install TeX Gyre Terms in your system then you don't need the
long-winded \setmainfont options.)

When you think about it, it doesn't exactly make sense to try and use
STIX as a text font -- the bold and italic letters and kerning will
have been designed for maths use, not text. And while they *can*
function acceptably in text, TeX Gyre Termes is specifically a text
font and has excellent glyph coverage.

Hope this helps,
Will