[XeTeX] embedding fonts

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu Jun 3 20:38:10 CEST 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:37 AM, hh-brasil at bol.com.br wrote:

> Is there a way to ensure that adobe distiller or acrobat pro embed
> the full fonts in the pdf-document produced with xelatex. Or can you
> name any program which can do that.

As Herb noted, many fonts can't be fully embedded anyway. Distiller
can do this, (but not if the font disallows it)  but it works from a
psfile not the output of xelatex.  xelatex uses the xdvipdfmx program
to produce its pdf.  xdvipdfmx was based on (and has now replaced)
dvipdfm which used to have an option to fully embed fonts (the -e
option) but this seems not to be available on xdvipfmx.

So it doesn't look like there's a way to do this, unless the -e option
is simply not documented any more, but still there.

> The printing houses insist on full fonts because that way they can
> (sometimes) correct errors (generally with the - expensive - pitstop
> program).
> But when I checked the pdf files gained with xelatex, only subsets
> were saved, which is not enough.

Alan

--
Alan Munn