[XeTeX] (bug?) letterspacing with LetterSpace and soul

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 1 21:22:27 CEST 2010

Hello Pablo

I'm afraid I don't know LaTeX but I *think* that plain TeX commands will
still usually work.  Anyway, once you've started a XeLaTeX document, you
might try the commands I gave (assuming you have Minion Pro on your system),
and it has since emerged from the contributions of others to this thread
that all you need to do to invoke polytonic Greek hyphenation rules is to
say:

\uselanguage{ancientgreek}

So the lines to paste in before a Greek passage (to see if they would work)
are:

 \font \myfont = "MinionPro-Regular:+onum:mapping=tex-text:letterspace=12"
at 12pt
 \tolerance 500
 \myfont
\uselanguage{ancientgreek}

That should give you quite generously letterspaced Greek, with correct
hyphenation.  (If these commands need to be modified for use in a LaTeX
environment, I'm sure someone else on this list will leap in.  I *hope* it's
not the case that if you are using fontspec and/or polyglossia you are then
precluded from using the more primitive commands and macros that come
bundled with (Xe)Tex.)

Whenever you need letterspacing, you would just need to use \myfont within a
group:

Some text some text some text some text some text {\myfont some letterspaced
text} some text some text some text some text .

John