[XeTeX] Pipes in XeTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 06:35:25 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-28 22:10:49 +0930, Florian Gilcher
<flo at andersground.net> said:

> Actually, pdftex in both texlive 2009 and 2010 supports it.
>
> The difference between MiKTeX and texlive is that MiKTeX has a special
> CLI flag for it (--enable-pipes) while pdftex on texlive checks for
> (--shell-escape).

Thanks for the info. It's been a couple of years since I used pipes. Is
this documented *anywhere*? Neither the pdftex nor the texlive
documentation seem to have anything on this topic.

> Well: the problem with \write18: it is not quite the same (for example,
> i cannot write to a pipe [1]), it clutters the file system

Since write18 is enabled anyway you can always "rm ..." or "del..."
your temporary file.

>  and I cannot read from any arbitrary source.

How so? (Not questioning, just curious. I've used write18 a bit and
haven't run into trouble yet.)

Will