[XeTeX] xunicode and TIPA

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Jul 28 17:25:30 CEST 2010

Hi

The xunicode package provides a textipa command which recognizes (most
of?) the commands from the tipa package.  This is very useful, since
it allows one to convert legacy documents containing IPA to xelatex
with minimal trouble.  However, the tipa package also provided an IPA
environment.  This is not supplied by xunicode.  Is there a way to
emulate that too?  Here's a minimal document:

I know the definition for the IPA environment isn't correct; what I
want is characters inside that environment to be interpreted in the
same way that they are within the \textipa command provided by xunicode.

% !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\newfontfamily{\ipafont}{Doulos SIL}
\def\useTIPAfont{\ipafont}
\newenvironment{IPA}{\ipafont}{} % I know this isn't sufficient
\begin{document}
\textipa{RPAQIOE} % This will give you correct phonetic characters
\begin{IPA}RPAQIOE % This obviously doesn't
\end{IPA}

\end{document}

Alan

--