[XeTeX] Fake old-style figures & small-caps with XeTeX?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Wed Jul 28 15:31:56 CEST 2010

On Wed 28th Jul, 2010 at 03:00, Ernest Adrogué seems to have written:

> 27/07/10 @ 20:47 (+0100), thus spake cfrees at imapmail.org:

>>> Though there are some DTP and office applications that fake small caps,
>>> I've never seen one that fakes oldstyle figure, I don't think it is even
>>> possible.

>>> Traditional TeX engines can only use small caps if they are in a separate
>>> font.
>>
>> Just to clarify, this, you need separate TFM files, but it is perfectly
>> OK for the small caps to be in the same font in the sense of being in
>> the same pfb (or ttf for pdflatex which is not quite traditional, of
>> course). This amounts to having them in separate fonts as far as TeX is
>> concerned but the actual glyphs can all be in the same type 1 font.

My comment here concerned the way traditional TeX engines work - not
XeTeX. (Though I believe XeTeX sometimes falls back to a similar system
but only as a last resort. Not sure, though.)

> Right now, I have two fonts with old-style numbers.
> One, Linux Libertine, a true-type font.
> Two, PFL Neu, a type 1 font based on URW Palladio.
> These both have old-style figures in the same file, and I have seen
> with Font Forge that the glyphs are labeled the same: zero.oldstyle,
> one.oldstyle... etc.
>
> However, I cannot use the old-style figures from the type1 font.
> It prints a warning saying that the OpenType feature 'Numbers=OldStyle'
> is not available.
>
> Why can't XeTeX find the o.s. numbers? Is it a limitation of type 1
> fonts?

Yes. Type 1 fonts do not have OpenType features. They are a feature of
OpenType fonts.

> If I put the old-style glyphs in a different file, and load the font
> with the SmallCapsFont=<file> option, then it still prints the warning
> about old-style numbers not available, but you can actually get o.s.
> figures selecting small-caps, e.g. \textsc{12345}. Whereas \textup{123}
> uses normal figures. It's not ideal, but it works. The problem is that
> it's inconsistent, because the true-type font is insensitive to
> \textsc \textup as long as o.s. figures are concerned, it only  obeys
> the OpenType feature "Numbers" option.

Hopefully somebody else will answer this!

- cfr