[XeTeX] Fake old-style figures & small-caps with XeTeX?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Jul 27 21:47:32 CEST 2010

On Tue 27th Jul, 2010 at 09:48, Khaled Hosny seems to have written:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 02:36:45AM +0200, Ernest Adrogué wrote:
>> 23/07/10 @ 17:12 (+0200), thus spake enrico.gregorio at univr.it:

>>> I guess it's the "mathpazo" package, for Palatino. You can
>>> substitute the text font with the TeX Gyre version:
>>>

>>> \usepackage{mathpazo}
>>> \setmainfont[Numbers=OldStyle]{TeX Gyre Pagella}
>>>

>>> With declarations in this order, XeLaTeX should be happy: and indeed it is,
>>> I've tried compiling the documentation of amsmath and all goes well.
>>
>> I'll have to study this in more detail.
>> I thought that "mathpazo" generated the small-caps and old-style
>> figures by itself, but it seems that it doesn't.
>
> Though there are some DTP and office applications that fake small caps,
> I've never seen one that fakes oldstyle figure, I don't think it is even
> possible.
>
>>                                          It simply selects
>> another font wich is URW Palladio with real small-caps and old-style
>> figures added. I don't know what's the point in having a version of
>> URW Palladio without small-caps and another one with, all in the
>> same LaTeX installation.
>
> Traditional TeX engines can only use small caps if they are in a separate
> font.

Just to clarify, this, you need separate TFM files, but it is perfectly
OK for the small caps to be in the same font in the sense of being in
the same pfb (or ttf for pdflatex which is not quite traditional, of
course). This amounts to having them in separate fonts as far as TeX is
concerned but the actual glyphs can all be in the same type 1 font.

- cfr