[XeTeX] Why is "\mark{}" giving me odd results?

Ron Aaron ron at ronware.org
Tue Jul 27 16:12:00 CEST 2010

Or, rather, how can I get the information I need?

My text is in two columns, manually formatted (English one side, Hebrew the other). The English text has footnotes in it -- and because of the columns, I have to handle them myself.

Everything works fine but for one small problem: when I split a paragraph containing footnotes using "\vsplit", it is possible for footnotes to be on the page preceding the part of the para. which actually has the references.

My scheme to get around this was to insert a "mark" with just the number of the current footnote, just preceding the inserted footnote mark in the English.  Then, when I "vsplit", use "\splitbotmark" to get the *last* footnote number and split the footnotes accordingly.  This sceme worked fine in a simple test document...

However, it doesn't work in the real document.  The "\splitbotmark" is *always* coming back as "0" (to ensure I always have some mark, I insert a "\mark{0}" at the very beginning of the English para.  This is causing my plan to fail miserably, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any pointers would be most welcome!

Thank you,
Ron

--