[XeTeX] custom footnote rules w/ ednotes, polyglossia & bidi

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Jul 26 06:03:42 CEST 2010

On Jul 25, 2010, at 5:23 PM, talazem at fastmail.fm wrote:

> Hi Alan et al,
>
> Thank you for your kind help. You understood perfectly what was
> required. I used what you mentioned of defining a newcommand for the
> \left at footnoterule rule, did the same for a right at footnoterule, and
> have what I needed now. The document is now compiling and being
> produced as desired. Thank you again.
>
> However, it is producing some non-critical errors, and as such, I
> have a further wrinkle that I'd like to iron out.
>
> Because the majority of my document (a doctoral thesis) is left-to-
> right, and only a certain section is right-to-left (the short
> critical edition of a text), I do not want the document's
> footnoterule to universally be changed to RtL. As such:
> (a) I have not used the proposed " \PrecedeLevelWith{A}{\setRL} "
> command;
> (b) in it's stead, I have redefined my variant footnotes of \Anote
> as follows:
> 	\SetFootnoteHook{\setRL}
> 	\SelectFootnoteRule[1]{rt}
> 	\DeclareNewFootnote[para]{A}[alph]
>
> Like I said, this compiles, and the output is visually what I
> desire, but I get the following error:
>
> 	Later Error: Command \FootnotetextA already defined.
> 		Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
> 	1.38 \DeclareNewFootnote[para]{A}[alph]
>
> Naturally, I'd rather get no errors; I want to be sure that I am not
> messing up something else inadvertently.
>
> Basically, it appears that XeLaTeX/ednotes is not liking my
> "declaring" level A of the variant footnote (\Anote), since it is
> inherently already declared (defined) by ednotes itself when you
> load it. What should I do to avert this?

Yes, this is the problem I alluded to in my comments as well.

> You also mentioned that the marker could easily be changed not with
> ednotes, but with manyfoot. Do you mean by this something other than
> what you've already kindly suggested?

Given the functionality that ednotes provides on top of manyfoot, and
my ignorance of how critical edition commenting works, I don't think
the solution I had in mind will work.  But reading the ednotes
documentation (such as it is) more carefully suggests a solution to
your problem, (I think).

The trick is to define the RTL rule before loading ednotes, which will
then use the redefined rule.

In subsequent chapters I assume you won't be using the \Anote
commands?  If that assumption is right, then you just need to change
the footnote rule back to a left rule for the subsequent chapters.

I've attached another sample document.  Hopefully this does everything
you need.

Alan