[XeTeX] Japanese, Chinese, Korean support for Polyglossia

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sat Jul 24 01:53:46 CEST 2010

On 7/23/2010 1:02 PM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Just one comment, since we seem to be converging on agreement :-)
>
> Gerrit wrote:
>
>> I don’t think that there is Ruby used in academic writings in Taiwan.
>
> It all depends what you mean by "academic" : Ruby is most certainly
> used in texts used to teach the Chinese language to children, which
> some might classify as "academic".

A little term confusion - "ruby" is the rather nonsensical name that's
been given to the practice by western typesetters (thank you, ruby
typeface, for being the smallest movable type available at the time the
term was invented) but in practice we're talking about "furigana" (for
Japanese), and "zhuyin fuhao" or the cuter "bopomofo" for Chiense
(mostly Mandarin, but several other phonetically related variants of
Chinese as well) - it's actually widely used in Taiwan. I am not aware
of any phonetic guide text practices in Korea.

- Mike