[XeTeX] Having correct hyphenation for multiple languages in the same document

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jul 20 11:32:12 CEST 2010

Am Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:19:50 +0200 schrieb François Charette:

>> (Languages are not symmetric regarding fonts: For latin scripts you
>> need normally 3 font families (for \rmfamily, \sffamily, \ttfamily)
>> while greek seems to use only one.)

> There are Greek, Arabic and Hebrew fonts that can be used to match \sffamily and
> \ttfamily.

> In polyglossia they can be defined for instance as \greekfonttt and \greekfontsf.

Miktex is bit behind, this commands haven't yet found their way in
my versions. But it is certainly a good idea that other scripts now
have access to this other families too.

Btw: It is probably inevitable as the default font setup is
latin-orientated (Latin Modern Fonts), but I do find it awkward that
people which use main language with other scripts have to setup the
fonts "manually". Wouldn't it be useful if scripts for which free
fonts exists get their own default font setup? (Naturally the fonts
should be available on CTAN in a e.g.
polyglossia-default-fonts-package.)

--
Ulrike Fischer