[XeTeX] [OT] Free fonts for fontspec examples?

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Jul 16 00:00:42 CEST 2010

On 7/15/2010 4:04 AM, Ryo IGARASHI wrote:

> Hi, Will,
>
> Just to comment on 3., only for Japanese font stuff.
>
> 2010/7/12 Will Robertson<wspr81 at gmail.com>:
>
>> 3.  All of my Japanese examples use the Hiragino fonts distributed
>> with Mac OS X; are there any free alternatives I can use that supports
>> features such as ruby, kana style, annotations, "CJK Shape", and
>> so on?
>>
> Free (in the Open Source Definition sense) Japanese fonts which I am
> aware of (and having English explanation) are

To add to that,

- Ume Mincho (http://sourceforge.jp/projects/ume-font/releases/), 15563
glyphs (no kern pairs... go Japanese! =), supports kana/vert features
only as far as I can tell.

- HAN NOM A/B
(http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/fonts/fonts_hannom.html),
technically a general CJKV font, massive glyph span, but no opentype
features as far as I can tell.

You could perhaps post a request for some test fonts on the OpenType
list, adobe's doing some wonderful things at the moment with CJKV fonts
(particularly the kazuraki font -
http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2010/01/kazuraki_available.html -
if you can convince Ken Lunde to share it for testing purposes =).

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com