[XeTeX] [OT] Free fonts for fontspec examples?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Jul 14 14:24:52 CEST 2010

On Jul 14, 2010, at 6:16 AM, François Charette wrote:

> Still, I cannot refrain from asking: what is exactly the point of such fonts? Any edition of an historical text should be first and foremost legible and intelligible to modern readers, without distracting them. To accurately reproduce an original source, digital color photos do a far better job, no?

Yes, but such photos aren't searchable or indexable --- they're also significantly larger in terms of file size and are quite difficult to update and alter to correct errors or reflect modern sensibilities.

William

(whose wife purchased a reproduction of The Declaration of Independence for him as a Christmas gift last year:
http://mbelloff.tripod.com/goddardbroadside.html
 --- we got the first edition w/ the original wording, but there's a new one w/ updated, more inclusive wording)
--
William Adams
senior graphic designer