[XeTeX] Problems splitting double-columns in xetex

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 12 10:57:36 CEST 2010

On 12 Jul 2010, at 09:26, Ron Aaron wrote:

> On Monday 12 July 2010 11:16:48 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
>> Fascinating : can you send me an example that does this
>> using only English text, and ideally does not use fonts
>> that don't come with TeX Live 2010 (since I can't process
>> your original file to completion because of lack of font(s)) ?
>
> I've just posted "bad2.zip"  here:  http://ronware.org/bad2.zip
>
> The only font required is "Linux Libertine O" which comes, I think, with TeX
> Live (if not, it's a free download).  Well, it also includes cmr7 and cmr10,
> but that's not on purpose ...
>
> It exhibits the same odd ^U and ^V behavior as the mixed English-Hebrew one.
>
> Thank you for your help!

The ^^U and ^^V characters are the box numbers \spliteng and \splitheb respectively, and they're appearing as characters in the output because of the lines:

    % split off what will fit on the page:
    \spliteng\vsplit\engbox to \pageremaining%
    \splitheb\vsplit\hebbox to \pageremaining%

In these lines, I assume you're intending to assign the split-off portions of \engbox and \hebbox to these other box registers, but that's not actually happening as there's no \setbox command; the \split* control sequences themselves just represent the box numbers, and have to be used in conjunction with some kind of box command to actually access the registers. In this case, you probably meant to say:

    \setbox\spliteng\vsplit\engbox to \pageremaining%
    \setbox\splitheb\vsplit\hebbox to \pageremaining%