[XeTeX] Problems splitting double-columns in xetex

Ron Aaron ron at ronware.org
Mon Jul 12 09:50:48 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 10:31:19 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Hmm, can't see those in your PDF (perhaps because I can't
> ?yet? read Hebrew); can you identify them, and their placement,
> please ?

At the bottom of the first page, "hugging" the last line of the English, there
are two odd characters (apparently a ^W and ^V).  Needless to say, those do
not appear in the input, but maybe the \vsplit does something odd?

I have tried the same by using *only* English text, and I have the same
problem; so it is not related (as I originally had considered) to xetex
splitting the pointed Hebrew incorrectly.

> Well, looking at the footnote callout and the macros
> so this is using TeX's \insert mechanism, and \inserts are documented
> not to be able to migrate out of nested boxes [1], so I suspect this
> is the problem.

Arrgh!  So I have to manage a separate footnote box I guess.  Well, that's not
too hard at least.

Thanks!
Ron

--
For privacy, my GPG key signature is: AD29415D