[XeTeX] combining characters in isolation

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Jul 11 06:27:50 CEST 2010

I thought I knew how to do this.  I thought wrong.

For purposes of describing an alphabet, I need to output some combining
characters without the dashed circle that represents a missing base
character.  The characters happen to be in the Bengali block of Unicode,
but I suppose it's the same with any combining character.

I've tried putting a ZWNJ, ZWJ, ZWSP, and CGJx; none of them work.  I
either get a rectangular box or a dashed circle to the left (or in one
case, to the right) of the combining character.

How can I get a combining character to appear in the PDF without
anything (except a space) next to it?
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?