[XeTeX] Position of kasra when used together with tashdid in Arabic

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Jul 10 20:08:59 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:58:31PM -0400, Kamal Abdali wrote:
> While the problem is with fonts, I think it is really caused by language
> differences.  In Urdu, the convention for the tashdid-kasra combination is to
> put tashdid above and kasra below the letter. This convention applies even to
> Arabic texts (e.g., the Qurans) published in countries like Pakistan and India
> with large numbers of Urdu speakers. The Qurans published in Arab countries
> place kasra below the tashdid symbol, of course.

Not the ones that I have here, actually all printed Masahif (Mushaf is
the book form of Quran, Quran refers to the actual content) follow the
old convention if kasra bellow base.

>                                                   Incidentally, there are
> several other orthographic differences in the Qurans published in Pakistan and
> India and those published in Arab countries.

There are different conventions across Arabic countries as well (eg.
Moroccan vs. Egyptian)

Regards,
 Khaled

> This variation is unfortunate because it limits the use of many fonts across
> different languages.
>
> Below is the image of a Mac TextEdit window with the tashdid-kasra combination
> in three different Urdu fonts.
>
> Kamal Abdali
>
> tashdid-kasra-urdu.jpg
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 15:02, Andy Lin <kiryen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > The best thing is to try a font which does not have this kind of issue.
>
>     I've attached a pdf file of various Arabic fonts (most of them are
>     included with newer versions of Windows). The string is input with
>     tashdid before kasra. The first column has the script set to Arabic,
>     the second column has the language set to Urdu (the SIL fonts behave
>     differently here!), and the third has the language set to Farsi.
>
>     Hope this helps,
>     Andy

 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer