[XeTeX] Position of kasra when used together with tashdid in Arabic

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 8 16:19:22 CEST 2010

On 8 Jul 2010, at 07:01, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> That being said, the position of kasra relative to shadda is up to the
> font designer. For example I prefer the more traditional behaviour in my
> fonts, while fonts like Scheherazade make sure that both <shadda><kasra>
> and <kasra><shadda> render kasra bellow shadda, so reordering will not
> work here.

Yes, this is a font design and implementation choice. Indeed, if you use the AAT version of Scheherazade on Mac OS X, there's even a specific feature available (in the Alternate Forms category) to control this behavior. I can't remember offhand whether the OpenType version provides a means to control this.... it might vary depending on the language setting (e.g., language=URD may put kasra below the letter), but this may also affect certain other glyph choices.