[XeTeX] Position of kasra when used together with tashdid in Arabic

Meho R. meho_r at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 15:14:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

This issue is bothering me for some time now: when kasra and tashdid are used
together, kasra gets positioned just below tashdid instead of below the actual
letter. This is a well-known issue and some workarounds have been made (e.g.,
reversing the order of writing, first kasra, then tashdid). However, I still
haven't find a proper way to solve this with XeLaTeX. I tried with some custom
LaTeX commands (\raisebox and similar), but the problem is, if you enter a
command in the middle of a word, the link between letters is broken (e.g.
instead of سُيِّرَت one gets سُىِّ رَتْ). Does anyone know if there's a way to
move kasra below the letter instead of below tashdid only?