[XeTeX] fontswith (final -- I think)

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:05:41 CET 2010

I think this simple script is finished for now -- at least I've done
what I can. Again, it searches through a directory tree looking for
fonts containing a glyph. It requires Python and FontForge. Put it
somewhere on the path. If you have a few megs of disk to spare, invoke
it the first time in one of these ways:

fontswith --build-index [path]
fontforge -script /path/to/fontswith --build-index [path]

If you have lots of disk to spare, include a -n or --no-bz2 option,
which will speed up searches quite a bit. Run fontswith --build-index
path again for all the directory trees you want to index.

Now when you run fontswith it will search the index rather than opening
and examining every font file. There is also no FontForge dependency for
searching the index:

fontswith Adieresis
fontswith U+FB01
fontswith -n U+0129 (if you created an uncompressed index)

Type fontswith --help for more. Again, this is mainly for Linux users,
who don't have a great tool for finding out which fonts contain a glyph
they want; but it will also run on the Mac.

Get it at http://faculty.virginia.edu/OldEnglish/fontswith/fontswith.zip

Let me know if you run into problems.

Peter