[XeTeX] LaTeX Error: File polyglossia.sty not found

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Jan 30 22:37:50 CET 2010

Manuel Souto Pico wrote:

> So, I understand the best thing to do is to update my MacTex installation.

Indeed.

> And after updating, it seems I won't need to find the polyglossia.sty file
> myself...

Correct.

> However, let me please ask this. What is the best way to update? I
> understand that the latest MacTex.mpkg.zip will allow me to install
> MacTex-2009 but that won't uninstall my current version. So it's like
> different programs, right?

I think MacTeX will install a separate branch on the tree, something like:

/usr/local/texlive/2009/ETC.ETC.

so it will find what it needs and (I think) ignore older installations
(maybe you have teTeX?). Then, it will probably be safe to dump all the
old stuff --- unless you have custom files in some texmf-local folders.

>  There's no update command that I can just run, I
> guess.

Actually, TeXlive manager does just that ... but you have to update
first. And, if I'm not mistaken, OS 10.4 doesn't run the updates. You'll
need 10.5.

> By the way, what is Web2C?

 From the Web2C doc (web2c.pdf), Karl Berry and Olaf Weber state:

--