[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Sat Jan 30 02:16:10 CET 2010

Peter Baker wrote:
> Let me check. I'm running Python 2.6.4; maybe I'm using something that
> appeared after 2.5. I'll check it out and rewrite it to run on 2.5 if
> I can.

I actually had a Python 2.5.x around to test on, and it definitely was a
matter of a feature that appeared between 2.5 and 2.6. I've removed
that, and it should work now. Fr. Michael points out that the script
doesn't run on Python 3.1: Python 3 retires the print statement! Thanks,
Chris and Fr. Michael: I think it might just work in both versions now.

I've also removed a dependency on a very recent feature in FontForge.

New file attached; also as before on
http://faculty.virginia.edu/OldEnglish/fontswith/fontswith.zip

Here's one more point. You can run it as a script in FontForge:

fontforge -script fontswith ~/myfonts adieresis

I hope it's useful to someone!

Peter