[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:23:08 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:18:12PM EST, Peter Baker wrote:

[..]

> fontswith [path] glyph
>
> [path] is the place to start looking: default is /usr/share/fonts.
> glyph  is either a glyphname (e.g. A, Edieresis) or a Unicode value in
> the form  U+2605. Fonts containing the glyph should be printed on
> stdout.
>
> To keep from being distracted by warning messages from FontForge,
> stderr  is captured and errors are printed on stdout. Kludgy! But as I
> said, the  script is rough-and-ready.
>
> In case attachments aren't allowed on this list, I've also posted the
> script here:

> http://faculty.virginia.edu/OldEnglish/fontswith/fontswith.zip.

Great news..! I was really getting a little frustrated at having to fire
up cumbersome GUIs and plod through a maze of options, usually not being
able to find what I needed. So it's nice to have a specific tool that
does something so incredibly useful, and just hands you out the result
on a platter.

I haven't had time to look at the script, but I'm getting what looks
like a syntax error:

File "./fontswith", line 59
  except Exception as d:
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I rand your script on debian "lenny", which ships with python 2.5.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks

CJ