[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:42:51 CET 2010

Dear Folks,

Pardon me please if this question is naive.

I would like to use the Unicode character U+2605 Black Star in the
Miscellaneous Symbols block, or lternatively, the character U+272A
Circled White Star in the Dingbats block in a .tex file.

I have two questions:

1. How might I find out if a chosen font does indeed provide this
symbol? I am on Kubuntu 9.10 and have kcharselect and gucharmap, but do
not know of an efficient way of finding this out. Are there any
utilities to do this efficiently?

2. Once I have found a font supporting the desired symbol, how might I
invoke this symbol in a .tex file to be processed by XeLaTeX? I am
thinking along the lines of:

\newfontfamily{\myfont}[Script=????]{Font????}
\newcommand{\pentagram}{\myfont ★}

TIA

Chandra